Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Where is the Supercuts...

Tuesday, May 9, 2006

While I don’t know why I haven’t learned my lesson, I have never been a big fan of going to some fancy salon to get my hair cut. Fortunately, I think this philosophy is a good one here in Senegal, since I really haven’t seen too many fancy salons, or atleast ones that some of you may be accustomed to in the States.

I have been here for right at 8 weeks and haven’t had a hair cut for about 3 months. Needless to say, it is getting close to that time when I need a haircut. The hair going over the ears and down the neck can only continue so much longer. I’ve always preferred being clean-cut.

My dilemma arises in the fact that I am scared to go to the barber (aka butcher) here. I can barely explain to the lady at Supercuts or Great Clips (depends on which one has the $9.99 haircut advertised) how I want my hair cut, so I can only imagine telling a barber here in broken French and Wolof that I want a two blade on the side, as short as you can get it up top with scissors, and boxed in the back. Also, the things they use here to cut hair rival the weapons used by a small army.

I’m hoping to get my haircut on Thursday using some clippers somebody brought with them, but if not, I refuse to get it cut in town. I might be coming back to the States looking like Tom Hanks in Castaway. With Swearing In on Friday in Dakar, I am hoping to have some of the hair chopped. I wouldn’t mind being able to have that clean cut look, maybe alittle gel in the hair, like I’m going to my Senior Prom, giving my oath to the United States of America. I don’t think I want anything more, than just that.

No comments: