Sunday, May 28, 2006

Hollywood...Senegelese Style

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Television is far different here, than in the States. Unless you have a satellite dish (which apparently has the NBA package), the channels that you pick up are very very limited. It almost makes the few channels we get on a clear night at the mountain house seem like a lot. Here, you are bound to get RTS (It is the national channel). After that, it might be it, depending on where you are in the country.

Last night on RTS Journal (National News), there was a feature on the Hopital Fann Project I am taking over. It was about 6 or 7 minutes long. While neither Steve (Volunteer I’m replacing) spoke on camera due to PC policy, we were in a few shots and Corps de la Paix’s partnership with the project was mentioned. It was pretty cool to see it. After the showing, I got several texts from people here saying they saw me on TV, which was pretty fun.

The highlight of my moment of fame came today just after my doctor’s appointment. I was dropped off at the gas station down the street from my house so I could pick up a snack. I go there at least once a day to pick something up, so they are starting to be my new best friends in Senegal…if only it had a Bojangles there…the #1 date spot …I might take a girl there on a date, but since it doesn’t (and the only thing you can get in Senegal is a lot of rice ), well, I suppose it will have to be a long year and 11.5 months in that department.

Back to my original story, instead of ranting…So, I was talking to the cashier who was ringing me up and we were having a pleasant conversation. She then asked me if I was on the news last night. I felt like a star. I wanted to tell her that I used to wear sweat suits everyday to elementary school and had a bowl cut, so there was always a chance for future staredom, but I held back on the details of Before They Were Stars. I suppose she was star struck because she forgot to put my croissant in my bag.

Hopefully I will have a copy of the episode soon. While it is in French, it is very insightful regarding the purpose and ideas surrounding it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe :) sweat suits and bowl cuts :) Stardom aside, at least you aren't trying to keep up a 'do like that anymore. I can only imagine what your new 'stylist' would have created!!!

Anonymous said...

Can I have your autograph and a signed picture please, please please Mr Land?
Bear xxx

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»