Sunday, May 28, 2006

Hand Update

Sunday, May 28, 2006

I just wanted to let everyone know that the decision was made on Friday that I will be having surgery on my hand Tuesday morning at a clinic here in Dakar. According to the x-ray, my finger wasn’t setting right. The surgery, which I will be placed under general anesthesia, should last a little under an hour. This complicated things a little because the use of general anesthesia requires Peace Corps/Washington approval, but everything is a go at this moment. I will be spending all day at the clinic and then can come home Tuesday evening sometime…inchallah.

Today, I met with the anesthesiologist to answer medical history questions. Also, I had to have blood work done to ensure I can handle the anesthesia. Hopefully I can, because this isn’t something I want to be waking up during. I kinda want my first surgery experience to be somewhat pleasant. Don’t worry, I intend to bring the camera.

As for what they are going to be doing…I’m really not quite sure. There are two different things I have heard. One is that they are going to put two rods on my hand. It is my understanding that these rods would stay in my hand. This is what I hope happens. The other thing I have heard is that they are going to but screws in my hand. It is my understanding that they would take them out in a couple months through a local anesthesia operation. I’m not too fond of this because it seems that the “recovery” time would be longer.

Thanks to everyone who has sent messages to check up on things. Hopefully the surgery goes well on Tuesday and the recovery is quick.

Here are some pictures of my hand so far.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=7cwno9h.mf6wpj5&Uy=-6z6vhz&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK..this makes me ill..MOM

Anonymous said...

Hold that hand up high for Kasey Kahne!! "Anybody but Jimmie" rang true last night thanks to him.

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»