Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Crunch Time...

Monday, May 1, 2006

Happy May Day…the Labor Day to the rest of the world, unless you are in Peace Corps Training. Today was just another day of learning, except that in one of my Wolof classes, we went to the market, and there was a May Day Parade going on. We didn’t go to see the parade, but to learn about the workings of the market and how to negotiate prices in Wolof. I ended up buying some warga (Senegelese tea leaves) for my family

It’s been seven weeks since I left Houston. We have less than two weeks of Pre-Service Training (PST) and then, we become Volunteers. It is pretty crazy how fast things have gone. With training concluding in Dakar on May 12 with Swearing In, the next several days are going to be busy and very hectic.

First, we have our counterpart workshop this Thursday and Friday. This is when our counterparts, Senegelese nationals, come to Thies and we get to know each other. Also, they are better prepared on what it is like to be a Volunteer, such as learning the language and adjusting to a new culture. While I am looking forward to meeting my counterpart, there is a lot of preparation for it. I am on the welcome committee and I have to give an introduction (in French) and do a skit with my trainers (in French). Needless to say, my Wolof is much better than my French, so hopefully the counterparts have a good sense of humor, especially mine.

Also this week, my mom is having her birthday on Thursday. I found out nearly a month ago about this and how we are having chicken. The more I think about it, I can’t recall having chicken at my house here, so I’m looking forward to it.

With this kinda being the last real weekend during training, I am planning to stay in Thies and for the most part hangout with my family. They are awesome…I can’t say that enough. Today, my mom asked me if I knew how to make hamburgers. Growing up, learning how to use the grill was engrained deep into my blood. So, I told her I did, but that I didn’t like putting French fries on them. For some reason, they do that here, and I’m just not the fan. So, Saturday after class, I’m gonna go to the market with my mom and one of my brothers and get the things I need to make burgers for my family. I really am excited about this, cooking is one thing I really have wanted to do for my family. I want to make Swedish Pancakes (anybody who knows my mom, knows all about them) sometime, but I think I’m gonna have to wait for IST. I want to be able to practice making them so I don’t give them and my family a bad rap.

The last thing on the agenda is the final language assessment. It is sometime next week and it is something I must do well on…actually everyone. The best way to prepare is to talk/think wolof as much as I can till then. It is one of those things that is very stressful to think about, yet stress only makes you perform and get nervous during language assessments. I’m sure, in the end, everything will pay off.

Pretty soon, I will be off to Dakar…

No comments: