Monday, September 18, 2006

Its Like Living in the States

Thursday, September 7, 2006

I got a phone call today from my buddy Roger and he made the observation from conversations we have had, pictures, and my writings, that despite being in Senegal, I can do many of the things I did in the States, and somewhat live an American life. It was a very true observation, but I told him to take it lightly. Doing things that I would similarily do in the States is very important to the mental health of any volunteer. But, it is important to understand that there is a balance between living a Senegalese life and that of an American in Senegal that I feel Peace Corps Volunteers here have to make. It is not a 50 - 50 thing, but something determined by each individual. Everyone knows when they need to find a snickers bar and have a mental health break.

Living in Dakar, as metropolitan as you can get in Senegal, living a somewhat western life is somewhat easy while still being enriched by the culture. Dakar is far from all that Senegal represents though. Living a somewhat western lifestyle can be done not only in Dakar, but possibly St Louis, Thies, and a few other locations, but very difficult in the villages, which is one of the challenges that village based volunteers face.

In Dakar, I am able to go to restaurants, eat fast-food, take public transportation, go to the pool, go go-carting, go to the beach, go to the grocery store, dress in western styled clothes, speak english, and etc. This is a very unique situation to a Peace Corps volunteer in Senegal I would say...I feel very spoiled to live in Dakar honestly.

So, to better respond to Roger's observation, it is possible to live or do typically western things here.

No comments: