Thursday, September 07, 2006

IST Difficulties

Monday, August 21, 2006

Well, we are about a week into IST, and there are a few things that are difficult about it. First, while I love my Thies family to death, after being fairly independent in Dakar for the past three months, moving back in with the family is challenging. It is difficult to balance time between other volunteers and my family equally. I am a big fan of equal distribution, but I have found that it doesnt always please everyone. Peer pressure can be difficult, as can a padlocked chain around the front door at 11pm. Cant say I like waking the family up to be let in. Another challenge is that the garden at the hospital has been an amazing classroom, and it is difficult to gain that kind of knowledge at IST. There is alot of stuff being taught that affect other volunteers, but dont face me, such as village issues or urban ag practices not needed in Dakar. With that being said, my project and site are very unique to the Peace Corps Program in Senegal, which I am very fortunate to have.

Other than that, I have been trying to relax a bit during IST, but it is very structured, making it difficult at times. My room has a severe mildew problem, so I have had a pretty bad cough and a lot of congestion as well.

No comments: