Sunday, June 11, 2006

REVISITED: Packing List

Now that I have been in Senegal for three months (Thies for 2 / Dakar for 1), I felt that I should revisit my packing list (can be found in a much earlier post). Overall, I feel that I did a good job packing. Although, due to the fact that you do not know your actual site until a month or so after you get in country and probably not know the details about your living arrangement until you actually get there, it is impossible to pack perfectly. To help me, I utilized the list Peace Corps provided me with (specific to Senegal) as well as lists that I found online, compiled by current/former volunteers. So, if somebody reads this in preparation for their own Peace Corps venture, use this to provide thought, but everybody’s list is going to be different to meet their own needs. The things I am glad I brought, didn’t need to bring, and wish I had brought, are based on my living conditions in Dakar.

The one thing that I disagree with is the amount you should pack. Just about everything that I read stated that you should pack minimally, not only because you have transport it, but because some stuff you can buy when you get in country. Both points are true yet a little flawed. First, you are going to be away for 2 years...bring anything that reminds you of home…there are some long days where you need something to make you smile.
Second, I’d rather have it and not need it, then not have it and not be able to get it...you can always give it away later. Third, there are only a few times you have to carry your stuff, and most times (if not all), you have help, so pack as much as you can. Finally, buying stuff can be a hassle. I’m convinced that retail therapy, as some call it, does not exist here.

GLAD I BROUGHT:
- Chaco Sandals
They are somewhat expensive, but highly worth it. I wear mine every day. I don’t recommend playing basketball when wearing them for the first time...actually, I don’t recommend playing basketball in Senegal at all. Also, while I don’t know if you can get the discount before you leave the States, Chaco gives Peace Corps volunteers a discount. You have to email them for the form and they can only be mailed to a US address, but apparently it is a really good deal. I recommended checking it out before spending $100.
- Laptop
This was a last minute decision to bring, but I’m glad did. For me, writing has been a good outlet to relieve stress so its come in handy. Also, it allows me to type things before going to the cyber cafĂ©, so I’m not wasting time when there.
- IPOD
- Books
- Bed Sheets/Blanket/Pillow

Can be risky because you don’t know what size bed you will have or get, so go with a larger size. I brought a travel pillow, but I suggest packing a good, soft, full size pillow. Also, while I brought a blanket, I added the blanket from the airplane over to my collection, which I highly recommend. Also, this stuff can be bought here, but might not be what you are used to.
- Pictures
- L.L. Bean Duffle Bags
They are heavy duty, fairly inexpensive, light, and don’t take up much space when you aren’t using them. I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on them as well
- Petzel Headlamp
- Notebooks/Index Cards/Pens
- Duck tape
Can use for anything

DIDN’T NEED TO BRING:
- Travel Hammock
I don’t really have a place to use it and the sun would destroy it fairly quickly. On a side note, another volunteer brought one (more heavy duty) and has had success…I just have no place for one here.
- Short-wave Radio
I have barely used it. I listen to my MP3s on my laptop or IPOD mostly.
- Therm-A-Rest Sleeping Pad
- Traveler’s Checks
I have found them to be a pain in the ass. This could be for several reasons, including it being my fault. I wish I had loaded the money on my debit card instead and pulled it from the ATM. Sure, you may get a small currency conversion charge and/or ATM few, but it is worth it. Also, regarding money, you don’t have to bring any, but it is nice to have a little security/back up money.

WISH I HAD BROUGHT:
- DVD Collection
Just would be nice to be able to watch a classic like Hardball before going to bed.
- IPOD Speakers
- Messenger Bag
At times, would come in handier than a back pack. For me, walking through the streets of Dakar or on the various modes of public transportation, I’m always cautiously guarding my backpack…a messenger bag is more convent in these situations.
- Another UGA Hat
Meant to pick one up in Athens just before I left, but my meal at Weaver D’s ran longer than expected. I brought one, but you can never have too many.
- Different running shoes
One of the air bubbles popped while playing basketball. Once again, I don’t recommend playing basketball in Senegal. Fortunately, I can still wear them, but not for the purpose of running.
- Better converter
I tried to find one for higher wattage products before I left but didn’t have much luck. I haven’t run into any problems yet with mine, but it gets really hot, so I only leave it plugged in for an hour or two each time…hoping it won’t be a problem later.
- Trivial Pursuit
- More T-shirts
- Electric hair clippers
I had them packed then took them out. You can buy them in Dakar; I just have to hunt them down. It makes getting a haircut a little easier and less humiliating. Apparently some of the PC girls have shaved their heads here, so this isn’t necessarily a men’s only utility.

POTENTIALLY CONSIDER (Not Needed/Wanted By Me, But Others)
- World Space
- Solar Charger/Battery

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Try Orca downtown for the converter and hair clippers. Not sure if they carry electronics, but if they do they should be good ones. There's a shoes/athletics store downtown (Ave. Pompidou?)but I'd wait and have your parents bring some out. Saturday market near the hospital in Grand Yoff and Bourgiba should have a dazzling array of t-shirts, and maybe even a UGA hat if you're lucky.

We had a World Space and hated the stupid thing. It rarely worked, and when it did it played the most random music ever - but you didn't want to turn it off because it was English!

Josh Girard said...

I'll be going to Zambia in July, but this was still helpful. Thanks!