Sunday, June 18, 2006

Prices

One thing I wanted to do was provide you with the costs of things here in Dakar. Being in Dakar, I am able to find many typically Western goods at places like Score and other grocery stores. The prices here are typically a little high for my income, but it is a nice place to go to find just about anything without haggling. Gas stations, like Score, are very Western and have a variety of things, but can be costly as well. Another place I go are boutiques. They are pretty much on every street corner and are nice places to go for a snack. There are a couple that I’m a regular at. Because there hasn’t been much that I’ve needed from a market and I am scared in going, I don’t know the prices for things there. Because of this, I will probably get ripped off on my first visit.

The list includes just about everything I have bought here. I really haven’t bought a whole lot . I had planned to put the costs of the prescription drugs I was on for my hand on here, but threw the boxes away and forgot. Needless to say, they were much cheaper than in the States. Consider your tax dollars hard at work. Beer is like any where else and has a wide range and typically requires a deposit for the bottle if you take for home. Also, I’m not sure the exact exchange rate, but I believe it is about $1 to 500 FCFA.

Dairy – Yogo Glace Fraise [10 pack] (Score)
1,000
Dairy – Vitalait Instant Fraise [10 pack] (Score)
1,100
Drink – Bonjus Fruit Juice – Variety of Flavors [296 ml]
200
Drink – Coca Cola [.5 litre plastic bottle]
300
Drink – Coca Cola [1.5 litre plastic bottle]
600
Drink – Foster’s Clark Mix [1 pack – enough for a Nalgene] (Boutique)
200
Drink – John Wood Blended Whisky [70 cl]
1,425
Food – Biskrem [12 pack] (Boutique)
250
Food – Biskrem [4 pack] (Boutique)
100
Food – Croissant
250
Food – Local Meal from side of road (ex. cheb u gen, maffe, super kanja)
350 (est)
Food - Pringles – Texas Barbaque Sauce (Score…but can find at gas stations)
1,390
General - Cell Phone – Motorola C118 (nothing fancy)
30,000
General - Map – Dakar 1/16,000 (Score)
4,400
General - Le 221: Musiques, Arts, Sports, Loisirs (Monthly what’s happening magazine)
500
General – National Geographic – English Ed (Score)
4,350
Health & Beauty - Nivea for Men Double Action Cleaning Gel [150 ml] (Score)
4,450
Health & Beauty – OE Natural Almond Extract Soap [3 pack] (Score)
990
Household – Bayer Mosquito Coils [10 pack] {Score)
260
Household – Simple Wooden Bed Frame (Market)
30,000
Household - Bleach – La Croix [1 litre]
450
Household – Plastic Chairs [2] (Market)
10,000
Household – ViVair Fresh 2 in 1 – Ocean Breeze (Score)
1,290
Rent – House (Monthly)
45,000
Rent – Food, Electricity, Water (Monthly)
45,000
Transportation – Car Rapide/Alhum (may have to take a couple to get to destination)
50 – 125
Transportation – Taxi
1,000 – 3,000

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So interesting...some things seem ridiculously inexpensive while others are the other extreme.
MOM

Anonymous said...

1 US Dollar = 518.974 CFA Franc BCEAO

6/19/06