Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Prayer Call

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Typically, I get home from my day fairly early, due to logistics and the way I have things set up. Today was a little different and it wasn’t till around 8 pm when I got home. On the car rapide home, I saw something that was really moving to me.

It wasn’t quite dark yet, but quickly getting that way. In streets that are typically packed with people buying and selling things, I saw men lined infront of stores, with their mats, reflecting, just before the prayer call.

Senegal is a vastly Muslim country, but tonight was just something that I took in with much awe. It was unbelievable to see men who were a few minutes before hustling and bustling, now at peace, side by side, along streets that were still very busy.

It wasn’t the first time I had seen prayer here, but I think it had something to do with the environment it was in and the feeling that the time of day gave. Whether others would warrant this as a memorable experience, I don’t know, but for me, it is something I hope to remember for years to come.

No comments: