Sunday, June 11, 2006

Main Project: Hopital Fann

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Throughout the course of the past year and a half, I have gradually learned more about what my project is to be in Senegal. It started out as Peri/Semi – Urban Agriculture into what is now my main project at the Centre Hospitalier de Fann. Hopefully, this post will provide a better insight to what I will be working on for the next two years.

Professor Papa Salif Sow, head of infectious diseases at Hopital Fann, approached Peace Corps and the Center for Micro-gardening (CDH) with the idea to construct a vegetable garden beside the infectious diseases’ building, that would supplement the diets of the patients (the majority are HIV+), in 2004/2005. Vegetables are very rich in vitamins and nutrients. This idea became a reality in 2005 under the guidance of former Peace Corps Volunteer Steve Bolinger. Through the course of the past several months, the garden has grown tremendously.

With Steve leaving to start an NGO dedicated to replicating this idea, I was brought in as his replacement. While so much work has been done as of yet, the vision of the garden continues to expand and be more demanding. Due to this, I am hoping that I will be able to focus the majority of my energy on this project.

Over the past month, I have been learning about the garden itself. The number of vegetables currently being grown is enormous, but include (in English); cabbage, okra, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, turnips, radishes, various types of mint, parsley, basil, various types of beans, peanuts, beets, various peppers, carrots, and the list goes on. Also, there are several pests, which I have been learning in greater detail how to combat. With the rainy season a few months away, there will be much more to learn hands on.

Now, what is in stow for the growth of the garden. One thing that is going to try to be worked on is the meals served. With so many vegetables being grown, including non-native vegetables, the kitchen does not have expertise in many of them. Hopefully, in the near future we can expand the variety of meals and vegetables being served. Also, utilize and grow more vegetables that the patients enjoy.

Another area for expansion is in the area of medicinal plants as well as fruits. The current garden is devoted to just vegetables. This will most likely be done in a separate garden that will be developed on the grounds, but still all in the works. In addition, there are several other things surrounding the garden, that are being looked at.

Honestly, I think I have the best project out of all the volunteers. I might be biased, but I really feel that way. The passion behind the people involved with the project (2 gardeners, cook, Professor Sow, and a few others) is amazing. The idea, purpose, and vision are all something I believe in. I am hoping to create a better relationship between the garden and those that it is serving, by doing this, the rewards will be far greater. I know that this project has a lot of demands that will only continue to develop, but I’m ready to work and help continue the growth of the garden.

Ill have pictures up of it soon...the internet was messin up today

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to get the beets out of the garden. They taste so bad that they will probably kill all the other veges. Once you get them out the other veges will be so grateful that they will grow like wildfire. Skip

Anonymous said...

HI J..Sent this blog to Marilyn Marks with the Gleaning Network.
"This is more than wonderful!! Am forwarding this piece to the folks above me. I think it will lift them up just like it did me.
Marilyn"