Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Real Thing...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Growing up, I have always been a Coke person. Whether it was collecting Coke stuff, drinking it, or mixing it with Jim Beam on Gamedays, I’ve always preferred it over Pepsi. Prior to leaving, many said that the Peace Corps would make me a different person (something that I didn’t/don’t agree entirely with), but I’m still a Coke person.

In a sense, drink choices are limited here. Water from the purifier gets old after awhile, drink mixes are good but not always accessible, beer can be a pain in the ass to get and deal with, but a cold Coke can surprisingly be found nearly everywhere in Dakar. I don’t think this a good thing for myself.

At times, I feel like my habit is turning into the one my freshman year roommate had. I don’t think that is a good thing. While it probably will not happen, I feel that my Coke intake may need to decrease. If not, there are going to be a couple of boutique owners that are going to be living quite nicely by the time I leave Senegal.

But the old slogan “Have a Coke, Have a Smile,” is quite a true one.

No comments: