Sunday, June 11, 2006

Doctor J: Minor Operation

Saturday, June 10, 2006

I don’t remember if it was Spring Break my senior year of high school or that summer at the beach, but on one of those occasions I got the nickname “Doctor J” or “The Docta”. As for why I got that nickname, I couldn’t tell you. Over the years, its usage has gradually diminished, and new nicknames have been created. Today, I feel as if I could legitimately be called a doctor. My hand doctor gave me the green light earlier this week to remove the stitches from my hand this weekend. He didn’t really say that I could do it, but I pleaded and won. My Peace Corps doctor looked at me a little oddly, but I convinced her as well. I mean, I feel as I’m a pro in the matter; removing the ten stitches in my head freshman year with a Swiss Army knife and seemed to do ok. So, hopefully the rusty knife I picked up in the street will do the trick today.

As for any other updates on my hand (I don’t think I gave them earlier this week because the news on it is starting to get more and more boring), they go as follows: Today, I remove my stitches. In about a week, I go in for another x-ray. Then, in about 4 weeks, the rods are supposed to come out in a local anesthesia procedure. After that, I couldn’t tell you.

I must say that I am looking forward to them coming out. They kind of hurt at times, especially when I sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night last night in excruciating pain. I don’t know if this is because I may knock my hand when I sleep, the blood isn’t flowing as well, or another reason, but I’ll discuss it with the real doctor when I go in a week.

No comments: