Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sandwich Crave

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Cravings for American food come and go here. There isn’t a day I have not thought about either Bojangles or Weaver D’s. I often think about McDonalds or a good steak from Firebirds in Charlotte. I would probably settle for Mexicalli if I had to as well.

For some reason, I got a crazing for a sandwich today. I don’t mean a sandwich from Blimpie’s, Subway, or Jersey Mike’s, but a plain sandwich. Get a little white bread, mayonnaise, mustard, ham, turkey, and roast beef, and then make one up. Yeah, it would be nice.

Well, being in Dakar, I do have a lot of luxuries, including Score, which I have talked about before. It is a very western grocery store, but often times, above my budget. I got suckered into going when another volunteer who is in town asked if I wanted to go, and all I could think about were sandwiches. I said yes. I need to learn how to say no to things though.

I went and took a look at the deli meats and soon realized that they were out of my price range. I stop looking pretty much as soon as I started, so maybe I was looking at the Rolls Royce’s of sandwich meets and should have been looking in the back room at the out of date products. I did see a pack of 4 pieces of ham for about $9.

As much as wanted a sandwich, I quickly changed my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stories, my friend. You do possess a charming style of writing and have an eye for the most bizarre stuff. Which is right up my alley. Hope it is ok if I follow you around on the sub-continent. For Pete's sake you are in my old neighborhood. I grew up in Ghana - oh but that is a long story and a very boring one at that. Now your tales --- ah, that is something else. I am thinking of cancelling my Sunday newspaper subscription in order to read you on the week-end. So you better keep up... or else!!!!! Just kidding, of course.
Kwasi Appiah
Chicago