Monday, July 24, 2006

Jehovah Witness Encounter

Saturday, July 22, 2006
I had an interesting encounter this morning when I got back to my house with my brother from an unsuccessful trip to the police department. We were standing in front of the compound and three guys came up asking if anyone spoke English. It was kinda weird, but since I was the token English speaker, I said I did.

They introduced themselves and they were Jehovah Witnesses from Nigeria. I guess they were sent to Senegal to do their work, but as a recommendation, I think they need to atleast learn French if they are trying to reach out to the masses here in Dakar, not an American Peace Corps volunteer. Regardless of that, I do give them credit for what they are doing.

There are three things that I have never enjoyed talking about; political beliefs (not politics in general), religious beliefs, and money. Even more so, I'm not a fan when these topics are pressed upon me.

So, going back to the front of my family compound, surrounded by a few Senegalese and the three Jehovah Witnesses, I was asked right off the bat: “Do you think the world will come to an end if no positive changes are made?”

I took a deep breath, shook my head alittle, and then was off at the races. My response covered every angle in why their question was flawed, primarily because the way they phrased it, suggested that nothing in the world was currently positive. Also, it is a very deep question that I personally think has no right or concrete answer.

We continued to talk and it turned out to be a decent conversation. They tried to focus the conversation onto one subject that they felt that needed changing. One of the guys reached into his briefcase and pulled out a 30 some page pamphlet on “How to build a happy marriage.” I tried to tell them that I wasn’t married, but I guess he didn’t understand my southern accent. He pretty much went through every single page with me. If anybody wants to have this pamphlet, let me know and it can be yours for 100 CFA (amount that I felt obligated to donate when I got asked for a donation) and the cost of shipping and handling.

I guess as I re-read all that I have written, it may sound as if I am being quite negative of this situation. That is not what I am trying to portray at all. Obviously my outlook and the way I view things are different from that of these three gentlemen. That is no different than anyone else though. I find it fascinating to learn about others views and perspectives, especially when they aren’t necessarily being pressed and possibly similar to my own. I give them credit and respect for what they are doing. Needless to say, it was a very very odd situation.

I suppose of if he pulled out the pamphlet “How to find a cute girl in Senegal that would make my Aunt Betty proud of me,” then I might have been more receptive.

No comments: