Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dead Rat

Monday, July 3, 2006

I have been running out of things to talk about, and my list is getting shorter and shorter, but, today, something interesting came across my nose. I walked into my family’s house after work and realized there was a horrible smell. I was unsure of what it was, but it poured down rain this morning, so I figured it potentially could be a sewage problem. I let the issue rest and quickly retreated to my little, smell free, house.

Later this evening, I was at the same location in the house, and was talking to one of my brothers, but overcome by the putrid smell. I came close to throwin up a little in the mouth, but managed to hold it in. My brother, somewhat laughing, told me that a rat/mouse had died in the wall. I don’t know how that is possible, since the walls are solid cinder blocks, but I went ahead and believed him. There was no reason to discredit him, unless he said there was no odor.

Fortunately, the smell was only in one area of the house, so we didn’t have to bear the smell during dinner. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of asking my brother if he had any Youssou Ndour (internationally acclaimed Senegalese artist) music. I went to his room, near the hub of the smell, to listen to some songs. The minute I sat down, I was itching to get back to my house, no offense to him. Finally, after several songs and a few Senegalese singers later, I felt that it wouldn’t be rude to leave. I was begged to stay for more, but the smell had overcome my nostrils…the time was right to retreat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Youssou Ndour performed in Chapel Hill November 2005. If you had only known!