Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dakar Riots - November 21, 2007

Since I moved to Dakar, I have experienced many protests, ranging from students at the university to ones surrounding elections. I have seen riot police shoot off tear gas, but honestly, I have never felt threatened or that I should alter the course of my day. I want to live my life. Some may disagree with this, but we all have differing thresholds. For some reason, I like excitement and future stories to tell too much.

While I remember seeing a notice a few days ago at the Peace Corps office mentioning the protest, I don't know if I read it past line two. I did get a phone call today informing me of the protest, but once again, this is Dakar, and protest happen. So, what did I do after work today, I tried to go to the Peace Corps office.

About half way there, the allhum I was in came to a stop. Police were forcing everyone to turn around. By forcing vehicles to turn around, all passengers were getting out of them. About 10 seconds after getting out and already seeing flames and black smoke just up ahead, everyone started running in the opposite direction. I had no clue what was going on until I realized a huge police truck with about 5 guys on top in riot gear and tear gas launchers. Let me tell you, I've never run that fast in my life, unfortunately, nobody really knew why they were running or where they should run too....for the most part, I was amongst normal Dakar citizens. While this was going on, I looked out the corner of my eye and about 5 feet from me, a police officer tackled a guy. I don't know what he did, but he was getting a whipping.

Finally, the big truck turned around and headed back in the direction of the smoke. Within 2 minutes though, a smaller police truck comes down with guys in riot gear and tear gas. This time, I managed to find a vehicle to get into that was heading towards my house (I don't leave anywhere near this part of town). When I was seated, I managed to get my camera out and ready for our getaway. As we were leaving, I tried to take about 5 pictures, only to realized my camera wasn't on. Very quickly, I got just one and turned to the kid sitting beside me and told him I just wanted a picture of Senegal.



This site is not one for political discussion or for me to give my views on what is going on. Part of me being here and doing what I do, I have to limit the things I say, but I urge you all to read about it. My goal is to provide the readers of this site the needed information to make their own conclusions.

If one of your conclusions is, "Justin, what were you thinking" then I have already heard it.

----------------------------

EMAIL - Bus strike and T.U. march (Sent 8:16 AM)

Dear Volunteers,

The Dakar Dem Dikk which is the principal public transportation service (Large Blue Buses) in Dakar is on strike today. Transportation will be a little disturbed for the day. Prices may increase a little with the other means of transportation such as taxis, car rapides and Ndiaga Ndiaye buses. Also, the trade union march which was reported to you last week begins today at 3 p.m here in the capital not far from the Peace Corps Dakar Office. The duration of the march is unknown. The marchers have been granted authorization to march and will begin their demonstration at the Medina Poste Office roundabout and advance towards the RTS radio station on Avenue Malick SY. Police will be present to maintain peace and order. Marches may also occur in other regions and departments of the country therefore stay informed and plan ahead your movements.

On another note, PCVs in the MATAM region are to know that there will be an unauthorized trade union march in the area today. Police may be present therefore your attention and vigilance is important. Use common sense and sound judgment and avoid large crowds and gatherings. Once again, PCVs who are to travel to Dakar today please do so before the march begins or wait until it concludes.

Thank you and enjoy your day.

--------------------------

Senegal police fire tear gas at rioters in capital
21 Nov 2007 12:45:54 GMT
Source: Reuters

DAKAR, Nov 21 (Reuters) - Police fired tear gas at stone-throwing protesters who rampaged through the Senegalese capital Dakar on Wednesday, burning tyres and smashing car windows after authorities cleared away street vendors.

Several hundred rioters set fire to piles of rubbish, blocking streets and traffic and forcing businesses to close their shutters, witnesses said.

"The street sellers are throwing stones at police," said Mamadou Diallo, as he swept up debris outside a closed commercial centre. "The police replied by firing tear gas."

Plumes of black smoke rose above the city's business district, set on the western tip of Africa's coast, as riot police pursued youths down sidestreets choked with tear gas. The disturbances spread to neighbouring residential quarters, witnesses said.

Casualty figures were not immediately available.

Vans packed with riot police rushed towards the disturbances in the city centre. In one of them, police beat a detained protester with batons, a Reuters witness said.

The riots, the most serious to hit Senegal in years, erupted after President Abdoulaye Wade's government ordered police last week to move on street sellers from Dakar, where thousands of people earn a living peddling goods on the streets. (Reporting by Alistair Thomson; Writing by Daniel Flynn; Editing by Pascal Fletcher)

------------------------------

EMAIL - PC office closed early (Sent 1:13 PM)


To All PCVs

The Dakar Peace Corps Office has closed until Friday morning. We have decided to close early today due to the manisfestations in and around the capital. There have been bus burnings and rock throwing exchanges with Police on the streets since this morning. A march by the Trade unions is also scheduled for today beginning at 3 p.m from Place de l'Obélix near Boulevard du General Charles de Gaulle also known as Centenaire. Therefore, if you are to come to the capital please avoid the main streets. We would suggest not coming to Dakar altogether until Friday morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin. I just heard about the riots and I'm glad that you and everyone else are doing alright.
Rachel Kercher