Monday, November 13, 2006

Wrong line of work apparently

Over the past five or six months I have lived in Dakar, I have somewhat gotten used to the constant harassment and bombardment in the touristy areas. It stinks at times, but there isn't much to do about it other than live through it...it is part of the excitement and fun living in Dakar.

Even at the hospital, sometimes I feel like the garden is a zoo exhibit and I am the main attraction.. There are times when 20 people or so will be looking down from the infectious diseases wing and watch the work being down. I have started to enjoy this aspect of the job, but sometimes feel like I need to get into costume or something.

While these two situations do not bother me much, when the harassment in the touristy areas is combined with grabbing, I start to get upset. The other night, I was on the "Ponty" (major road downtown) and some guy started talking to me and wouldn't leave me alone, even after I told him to. Finally as i was turning away for the 9th time he grabbed my arm. I don' know why he did it cause he didn't grab me hard or anything, but when he did, that is when I got fired up. The finer words of the English language were now coming out of my mouth and the funny thing is, a lot of these guys know them as well as rusty English to try to get your attention. Finally, he got the point when he realized I was pissed a little. When he left, this other guy, who i presume was his buddy or partner in crime comes up to me and asks "why was that guy following you, why wasn't he leaving you alone, why was that guy following you, huh, huh". I asked him why he wasn't leaving me alone and then left. He too followed me and kept asking me questions. Unlike the other guy, this one followed me much longer even as I was weaving back and forth between cars and such. I just don't understand some people.

You know, this is why I have to respect female adult entertainment dancers, formerly known as strippers. While I only know from rumors and stories from people, they apparently have this rule where you can watch, but you can't touch...who would have known. Maybe I am in the wrong profession or something, I don't know.

I just do not get it, just keep your hands to your self.

No comments: