Monday, November 06, 2006

Leave Changes in Dakar

Wednesday, November 1, 2006

As I have mentioned before, Fall/Winter is slowly arriving here in Dakar. It has been weird. While the changes are far different than those in the States, they are quite noticeable. The onslaught of the season change really just means the rainy season is over and the weather is supposedly to cool down. I say supposedly only because I have yet to take out my sweaters and mittens from under my bed or seen any snow bunnies hitting the slopes of Dakar.

The change has been fascinating though. The grass that was once green is now dead. The streets that were once flooded with water are now covered with sand. Pretty enthralling stuff I must say.

In the developing world, some may think that these changes might end at that, but no, not here in the mighty Dakar. For the past few weeks, workers have been removing all the dead brush that has littered much of the city. It was very nice when it was green, but not yellow and brown. It is grueling work, especially in the heat of the day, which is definitely nothing I aspire to do in my life. This work has ranged from the major streets to even at Hopital Fann. Also, not only has the dead brush been removed, but crews have also been brushing all the streets to remove all the sand. Nobody likes to be sandy.

As a result of this Fall cleanup, my rides home from work have been interesting. To see this beautification endeavor in progress has only put a smile on my face. As a result, I intend to do my own Fall cleanup. In doing so, I hope to shave more often, brush my teeth three times a day, drink lots of water, and always have a fresh haircut.

Hopefully, by the start of Spring, not only will the good looks of Dakar continue to shine, but mine prevail as well.

No comments: