Monday, November 13, 2006

Big ass bag of rice

In the US, there really is not just one staple food. In my diet in the States, I am sure all you would find in my belly would be fried chicken and potatoes. Typically, this is not the norm for most Americans I'd suspect.

Here in Senegal, the norms are much different. There is a staple food product and it is called rice. While everyday for the past 9 months I have eatin it, it never really occurred to me how much was consumed because it just goes down so good.

Well, when I walked into the kitchen at my house the other day and saw the bag of rice, I realized the Senegal is truly a "Theb" Nation. These bags are 50 Kg or over 100 pounds and families go through them rather quickly. I doubt Sam's or BJ's carry bags of rice this big.

If I could have a 50 Kg bag of Weaver D's for Christmas, it would be amazing, but instead, I suppose I will settle for 100 pounds of gift-wrapped rice.

No comments: