Sunday, August 06, 2006

Beggers

Thursday, August 3, 2006

I don’t know what it was, but for some reason, all the people asking/wanting money from me today got to me. Everyday, I’d average between 25 and 50 people ask/want money from me in some way. It was no different than any other day, so I don’t know why I let it bother me, but I guess it just gets old sometimes.

It is a weird, double edged sword situation Peace Corps volunteers are in here, and a tough one to say the least. It does not matter what sacrifices you made to come here or your desire to assist the people of Senegal, it will never be enough…some people just want your money. It is a frustrating situation.

It is frustrating in many capacities. First, a lot of people in Dakar are poor, in a way far different from that found back home. There is a problem with poverty, unemployment, and lack of money in the system. With the facts at hand, it is difficult not to feel bad for those who have difficulty helping themselves. I would probably be doing the same thing if I were forced too. Unfortunately, some are not trying to help themselves, which makes it even more frustrating. It is also difficult to see people who you are close to, know they work hard, yet still have no chance to make ends meat. You could say that this is life, which is true, but we have it so lucky back in the States. That is one thing that I have learned immensely the past 5 and a half months. Second, every time I get asked for money I always say “beneen yoon” or “another time”. It is the proper way to respond to these requests. If I continually get asked or pestered by the same person, I say “Amuma xalis leggi” or “I don’t have any money right now”. This is where the frustration comes in. If you say this, they will laugh and say that you are white, American, and have money, regardless of how many times you say you are a Peace Corps volunteer. It stinks because they are partially right, especially when it comes to their situation. It also stinks to always wonder what the next person wants from you…it makes you very cautious. Third, what is giving 10 CFA to one person going to do? Probably nothing. From my point of view, it is not a sustainable practice. It is not why I’m here.

No comments: