Saturday, April 22, 2006

Communication

I just wanted to thank those of you who have sent me emails. Many of you have been from people I have in a sense lost some contact with in the past, so it has really been nice to hear from you here in Senegal. I do want to apologize to each of you for not being able to write you letters back that I wish I could write. Going to the internet café is a pain in the ass. I have tried to write emails on my laptop but found that I’m writing the email the night I checked my email and not sending it for another week when I go to the internet café again. Keep the emails coming and I will try to figure out a solution on my end on how to write you back adequately. Also, I apologize for not really sending out emails to people. I am having trouble fitting everything I want to do at the cyber café into an hour, so I’m sorry, but hopefully once I get settled into Dakar and a different schedule, I’ll be able to write more emails on my own initiative.

Some of you have posted comments on this site as well as on Facebook, which has been nice. It is nice to read your comments, and many times, I have gotten a good laugh out of them. I think Bobby Kerr has the best one yet though. I’m not gonna post it, partially because I don’t remember it verbatim and it would be an injustice to mess it up.

For those of you that have sent letters, I thank you too. Whether it has been inspirational or just keeping me updated on things back in the States, all of them have allowed me to relax and not think about all the stuff we have to learn. Please, keep the letters coming. Once I get to Dakar and get settled, I hope to start sending letters to the States.

Finally, I just want to thank those of you who have called or sent me text messages. It is awesome to look down at your phone and see a number from the States flash up on Caller ID. The world pretty much stops. If other volunteers are around, they pretty much know it is a call from home. Once again, my number is Country Code: 221 + 4589731. So, when you type it into your phone, it is 221-458-9731. As for myself, I feel like I have done a pretty good job so far in calling the States, actually, maybe too well. There have been several nights in which I’ve made more international calls than I ever have in my life. But, calling the States from Senegal is expensive (alittle cheaper if I call after 11 pm Senegalese Time). I am almost out of credit on my phone right now, and have to wait till I can find a way to cash my Traveler’s Checks before I can get a new card. This is not an easy task, so it might be some time before I start making international calls again. But, once again, incoming calls, whether it be from Senegal or the States, is free for me to take…so please call here too. Some of you I have yet to get a hold of yet, but plan too. Elove, I apologize about being disconnected the other night, but I was at the beach and didn’t get much service apparently. I’ll try again soon.

Thanks again and keep up the letters and calls.

No comments: