Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Unitl Next Time...

Monday, September 17, 2007

When you talk to many young Senegalese here in Dakar about their future, many give you a similar response, stating a desire to get out. There reason for this isn’t necessarily because they do not like Senegal, but because of greater opportunities (university, job, etc.) elsewhere, whether it be in France, Spain, U.S., or somewhere else.

I feel that most Americans truly do not understand how lucky we are, just because we are American and the opportunities that exist. Sure, our system may not be perfect; cheaper and universal healthcare, greater equality within public education system, stronger environmental laws, lower taxes, and cheaper toothpaste all existing elsewhere throughout the globe….but our system is not bad.

The percentage of those who wish to get out of Senegal for opportunities that actually do is slim. Illegal immigration to Europe (primarily Spain) is a constant topic in the papers. The cost is high for legal immigration and depending on the destination, can be difficult.

For those that do make it out, they are often times still a valuable resource to Senegal. Western Union and Money Gram have a good business here with money wired back to families. While $100 could be a weekend on the town in the States, it can potentially go a long way here. This transfer of funds can create a better opportunity (medical, educational, emotional, etc.) for those here in Senegal. Some leave Senegal for educational purposes and return for the betterment of Senegal (doesn’t mean that a brain drain is not occurring).

My living arrangement here in Dakar is quite unique. I have a brother who has lived in France for the past 10 to 15 years working. One of my sisters was in France for about a year. Now, as of early this morning, one of my other brothers, left for Morocco to attend University.

He had attended university here in Dakar, but it didn’t provide him with the opportunities and challenges he needed. As a result, he boarded a plane and left for Morocco for 3 years, with a small suitcase, half full backpack, and a briefcase.

Through the past few weeks when he found out he was leaving and now, I’ve tried to compare his leaving to my coming to Senegal. For about 6 months prior to leaving for Senegal, I knew I was coming to this country and about a year and a half before, I was 100% about doing Peace Corps. My brother, within about 2 or 3 weeks, found out he was leaving for Morocco. My farewell tour alone took longer than that. It’s amazing how quick of a turnover he had.

Second, one of the biggest concerns before flying over here was the baggage limit. I can’t even tell you the number of times my bags were repacked and reweighed to meet the requirements. I ended up bringing 3 large bags and a backpack I think, all filled with who knows what now. It’s hard for me to even envision only being able to bring just a small suitcase, backpack, and computer bag for 2 years, let alone three. I think this goes to either my desire for personal possessions, possibly a stereotypical American thing, to my brother’s ability to pick up and go.

Finally, my biggest amazement, was asking my brother when he would be back, thinking I would see him before I left Peace Corps middle of next year and he said he wouldn’t be back. I was amazed, just in the ability to be able to do that. The number of volunteers that return home for vacation is great. I really have no clue if I could go two or three years without going home. It was interesting to hear his friends ask him when he’d be home and he said “3 years” like it wasn’t a big deal. And just to think that a tear or two was shed with my leaving made me realize that some of my friends and I need to toughen up.

I still believe one of the most interesting things about the Peace Corps experience is seeing the differences and similarities in culture, religion, handling of situations (this one being one of them), etc. Often times, things may seen foreign and strange, sometimes disagreeing with them. But in the end, what it comes down to for me is recognizing and understanding (often times through experience) these differences with an open-mind, and realizing that we all bring an importance to the global table.

Goodluck Khalilou

No comments: