Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dryer Sheets

Saturday, September 15, 2007

My set up here in Peace Corps/Senegal is a unique one when you compare it to that of 93% of other Volunteers in this country. I have had the rare opportunity of spending my entire service in the capital city, Dakar. In Peace Corps/Senegal history this is uncommon. A lot of Volunteers live in villages (some remote and some close to small towns), while others live in small towns and cities…but Dakar is the crown jewel. Some say it offers the best and worst of Senegal. While there are disadvantages about living here, there are also perks. I typically don’t go hungry, usually busy with work, can catch up on news back home at a click of a mouse button, relax at the pool, can use a washing machine to clean my clothes, and can grab a beer with friends.

I don’t remember who it was but in a conversation with another Volunteer a few days ago, they pretty much summed it up like this:

“While the majority of Volunteers ask for drink mixes and food in their care packages, Justin asks for dryer sheets.”

What can I say, I like my clothes smelling fresh and little static.


No comments: