Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Off with the left

Monday, September 17, 2007

The left hand here in Senegal is what I consider the “no, no hand”. When it comes to contact with another person, such as a handshake, you just aren’t supposed to use it. The major reason for this is because it acts as a natural toilet paper...I can only imagine if this craze caught on in the U.S..

With that all being said, there is one instance that left hand usage is deemed acceptable in the constraints of personal contact. If an individual is leaving for a long period of time, the left handed handshake is done. It is somewhat a sign of endearment, wishing luck on the long journey.

This handshake is not something that happens often and when it does happen, you feel the power and meaning behind it. In my service here, I’ve done it once before, and it was with another Volunteer. Last night at the airport, the left handed handshakes came out for my brother leaving for Morocco. That moment was one of the more powerful ones that I’ve experienced here. Saying goodbye is never easy, especially with people you are close too, but something about this handshake, really gave me that sense of belonging here and realizing how valuable this experience is.

1 comment:

Megan Kauffmann said...

Hey Justin. Just wanted to add that you're totally right about the left hand thing. When I left the village, people gave me their left hands and it felt like closing a book. We hope to see eachother again, but we know that might not happen...neway, thanks for the blog keep up the good work these last months!