Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mouhamadou Hakim Land Sane

Probably one of the biggest honors bestowed upon me was the naming of Baby Sane today. He was named Mouhamadou Hakim Land Sane.



Needless to say, in the shock of the Senegalese attending the ceremony, I showed up late and missed the actual naming. It was 9:30 when I arrived, after being told that around 9:00 would be a good time to get there. If somebody tells you that, it means, you are probably going to be waiting till 10:30 for it to start. As a result, I told everyone I was early and they got a good laugh.

I ended up spending much of the day at the Sane's, eating the traditional lakkh, which I managed/struggled/fought back tears to eat just half of my plentiful bowl. For lunch, we chowed down on thiebouyapp (pictured), also known as my favorite dish....I couldn't get enough. After lunch, we managed to get three rounds of tea down before I realized that I needed to head home.

Three years living here and becoming part of the Sane family myself...working with Aliou at the hospital, teaching him and Fatou English for some time, being somewhat of a big brother/uncle their kids, them being the best friends somebody could ask for and enjoying dinner, a Coke, and a Fanta at their house weekly for much of my time here, it is going to be difficult to say 'hope to see you sooner than later'. To me, this relationship is partially what Peace Corps is about.

No comments: