Thursday, August 09, 2007

Once a wetter, always a wetter

Wednesday, August 1, 2008

While today was my first day back at work, it was a short one. My schedule for the next few weeks is somewhat out of whack due to other commitments, so I have decided to hold off in getting too dirty until things slow down. So, after my trip to the hospital, I decided to stop by a boutique to get a Sprite and head to the internet café like I typically have done in the past.

The minute I sit down, I open the Sprite, and it explodes all over my pants and a bit on the floor. When I say all over my pants, I really mean just over my crotch region. The place was somewhat empty, so I don’t think anyone saw the initial accident. I wasn’t too worried, I had an hour of time for the internet…plenty of time to dry.

Unfortunately, what I had yet to truly grasp was the weather changed a lot while I was away. It has become very humid and muggy, making it very difficult for things to dry indoors. My time had run up, and sure enough, there was a nice large stain on my pants. I was starting to wonder if I had actually peed in my pants or not.

I can’t say I knew what to do. It is my first real day back in Senegal and people are going to think I have a bladder problem. So, very quickly, I decided to get up and get out of the place. For about 400 yards on one of the busier sidewalks in Dakar, I am walking awkwardly with my bag being held right in front of me. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone do it since my pre-school years, and it was probably when I was looking at myself in the mirror.

Finally, after a lot of walking, getting stopped by a friend on the street, and some odd glances, I finally found a place I could change into shorts for the remainder of my trip home.

I learned three things from this incident. One, be careful opening drinks. Two, always carry a spare pair of clothes. Last, always have a close by place to change.

No comments: