Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Barber Shop Shave

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

There was a time about a year ago when I said that I would never get a hair cut in Senegal again. One of the times I have valued most in my life has been going to get my haircut with my dad…it didn’t matter if I was going to the barber growing up in Conyers or nearly every $9.99 haircut place dotting Charlotte and Houston. Throughout 25 years of doing this, I’d have to say that a few bad haircuts have come out of these father-son bonding experiences. Well, none were as bad as my 400 CFA (80 cent) haircut last year, which is why I vowed to never get another one in Senegal.

Well, I guess I have softened up a bit over the past year. I think I may have mentioned a few months ago about getting reinstituted into the Dakar haircut scene when I needed a haircut for the Laura Bush visit. Well, since coming back from vacation, I have been back to my new favorite barber shop twice. It is run by some Cape Verdian guys and let me tell you, they do a pretty good job…actually, one or two of the best haircuts in my life.

Today, I decided to get a nice cut for an upcoming social event this weekend, but halfway through the cut, I decided to take my barbershop experience to a whole new level. I’m sitting there in the chair about to fall asleep (I find getting my haircut one of the most relaxing things) and I looked in the large mirror in front of me and thought, maybe I should get a shave here too. I was far from the 5 o’clock shadow and into 5 or 6 days without shaving.

So, after my haircut, I asked if they shaved as well, and it just must have been my lucky day. The procedure started with pulling a headrest out from the chair. Then out came a brush which was delicately used to apply shaving cream to my face. Next came the long razor blade that you’ve probably seen in movies. It was dull and rusty (only kidding, new blades are used each time). Carefully, the barber worked my face and neck, shaving it one direction. Next, shaving cream was reapplied and the barber worked the opposite direction. Afterwards, a wet cloth was put on my face in which I dozed off for a second or two. Following the cloth came what I assume was some sort of alcohol based man product because it made the skin burn a little.

Far from what a Mach 3 Turbo or other high tech razor can do, I must say, this shaving was an experience, and the results were pretty good. For any guy out there, I highly recommend, at least once in your life, going to a barber for a shave…you’ll probably keep going back.

As for the cost, for the haircut and shave, which lasted about 45 minutes, was 5,500 CFA ($11.00). That is somewhat pricey, but not unaffordable and much better than looking in a mirror knowing that you got the worst haircut of your life.

No comments: