Sunday, February 25, 2007

PC/Senegal Welcome Book

I was recently asked to write a piece for the PC/Senegal Welcome Book that goes out to future volunteers who are coming to Senegal. It provides a brief insight on my experience here. Here is a copy of what I wrote:

------------------------------------------------------
As a Peace Corps Volunteer, it is mind boggling to think about where you once were, where you are now, and what still lies ahead of you once here in Senegal. Every new day provides a different set of challenges and rewards. The obstacles that once seemed difficult and unbearable typically become easier and more enjoyable as your service moves forward.

As a second year Urban Ag Volunteer living and working in Dakar, a multi-national city of about 2.5 million people, I still remember all the questions and worries I had the first several months here. I struggled trying to figure out how to integrate into this large, diverse city, feel a sense of community that seems to come so natural in a village, and make this my home for the next two years. While the Peace Corps/Senegal community was here to help, the only way to answer the questions I had was to try different approaches and see what worked well for me. There is no formulated response on how you should approach your service other than that it is up to you to make it work.

Now a year into my Peace Corps service, the efforts I made have truly started to pay off and the struggles faced early on are now only faint memories. The large, intimidating city that it once seemed, is now smaller and manageable. The individuals who make up Dakar have gone from just faces to friends, co-workers, and mentors.

Looking back on some of the highlights that helped me get to this level of comfort, I often laugh and even question what I was thinking at the time. I do not think I can count on one hand the number of times I would get on the wrong bus and then just ride the entire route, hoping it would go to where I was going. After awhile, I just started walking everywhere, until I figured things out better and then realized an 8 mile walk home from work could be entertaining but was far from practical. Or, getting in somebody’s car thinking it was a taxi, only to realize a mile or two down the road that it was just a guy picking up some of his friends. Fortunately, everyone was good-natured about it, and the driver did not even ask me topay.

For the two years that you will be here, you are going to experience one of the most enriching times of your life. The stories you will be able to share, the memories that will impact your life, and the friends that you will make, truly makes your presence here worthwhile. Congratulations and welcome to Peace Corps/Senegal. All of us here wish you the best of luck and support throughout your journey.

Justin Land
Urban Ag (06 – 08)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Justin,

I am a travel guidebook writer for Bradt Travel Guides (http://www.bradtguides.com), and will be writing and researching a new guidebook to Senegal beginning in April. I am looking to possibly link up in person or via email with Peace Corps volunteers in-country to get their views, insights and tips on Senegal. I would love it if you could pass this email on to any other PCVs currently living in Senegal or if you are willing to contribute to the guidebook in any way. My email is meijmc@yahoo.com. I will be sending this email on to other PCV blogs as well. I will be arriving in Senegal in early April for three months. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Best regards,

Mei-Ling McNamara
Writer-Bradt Travel Guides
meijmc@yahoo.com
(925) 240-6201

Mark + Ash said...

wow - that's great J!! You could really write a traveler's guide to Senegal too I bet....you know, sections where you rate "dining," "lodging," "excursions" etc! :-) Hope all is well. I just spent days in a Chicago blizzard....seriously, I'd never seen so much snow. Glad to be back (finally) in NC.