Sunday, February 12, 2006

One Month To Go

Its kinda crazy....last January was when I submitted the first portion of my Peace Corps Application, and now, over a year later, I am only a month away from this vision becoming a reality. It has really only started to hit me that this is the next stage of my life. It really is a dream come true. I can tell that this experience is truly not going to be worth regretting.

In the past few weeks, I have gotten questions from friends about me being ready to go, excited about going, and what not. I really can't say that I have a definitive answer to these questions. For me, originally laughing at the idea of the Peace Corps back in the Spring of 2003, then toying with the idea for nearly a year, going through the application process which was nerve racking at times, and then "hanging out" for 6 months which was a story in and of itself, I can say that I am ready to go and go do what I want to do....this has always felt like a calling, and that is the only way I can explain it. While I am ready to go, that does not mean that I am not scared or nervous. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared to death...I really have no clue what I am getting myself into. As much as I may want it to be, this is not going to be a walk in the park, but it should definetly be worth it...hopefully. While I am looking forward to heading back to Georgia and North Carolina next week, I'm not looking forward to the goodbyes...I never have been fond of them, unfortunately, they are a reality. It is a weird thing, it really is not anything new, I had to say my goodbyes when I went to "another" school, the three summers I drove down the old dirt road for the last time, and now, but has never been easy. Before I even know it, I will be waving goodbye to those I have lived and worked with in Senegal. I can't say I am worried about any of this; I have some of the best friends from high school, from my summers at Westmont, UGA, and those that I met along the way, as well as family, but, it still is not going to be easy. I don't remember what movie it was, they always said, it isn't goodbye, it's see you later.

Thats kinda a response to how I'm feeling and thinking a month from leaving. Thank yall for all your support...its been amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...Magical.....riveting....Four Stars." "I have never felt such power from a blog spot in my life." ~USA Today (Feb. 13th review of blogs)