Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Time for Goodbyes

Since I joined the ranks of Peace Corps/Senegal, four stages (groups of Volunteers) completed their service, the fifth is leaving now. The goodbyes that go along with these have become part of the game. The thing that is different with this current stage leaving is that it is my stage, the group I entered with. We have all come along way since we met in Philadelphia as strangers two years ago. Through the two years, many of us have become family, and the bonds that are created here are very unique and special...almost something that can't be described if you haven't experienced it.

As an example of these bonds, last night, I went out with three of my buddies who I entered with to say farewell to one of them. It was a tight group, through two years, we bonded like brothers, yet we all lived in different corners of Senegal. I'm not gonna lie, toasts were made, a few tears were shed...it was the culmination of our trials and tribulations here. Out of this group, two of us are staying another year, so the two leaving are gonna be missed here.

No comments: