Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The time is coming....sooner or later

I have to tell you, it is really really weird to think that my two years here in Senegal are almost up. For nearly four years, the commitment to Peace Corps has been in my head. I value the ideals of the organization more than ever, and I know that they will have a large input in my future.

The magical thing about this experience is that everyone is different. Personally, I know I am going to have a tough time letting go of this experience. It is so unique and has made me realize more clearly great how great we have it and the importance of giving back. I'm not going to lie, I have battled back and fourth as to whether or not to stay an extra year. Honestly, I haven't reached that decision yet, but it is quickly approaching.

With that being said, it truly hit me today that my two year commitment is coming to close. Ironically, I was sitting at my computer searching for jobs, working on resumes, cover letters, and all the other fun stuff that accompanies looking for a job (doing this from Senegal has made it much more interesting too) and I received an email from Peace Corps.

This email was not the typical one, in a sense, it was one of the most coveted emails a Volunteer receives in their service.....Close of Service (COS) invitation. What this is, is the invitation to the COS conference, where the remaining Volunteers from your group get together for a couple days to discuss the past two years with PC Administration. Just in a flash, reality truly hit.

Not only did this email establish the date of the conference, but it puts into motion all mechanisms that go into a Volunteer finishing their service. The one thing that answers some of your questions is when I will finish here (if I don't stay). My official COS date is May 12, but you are allowed to leave up to 30 days before (April 14) and 30 days after (June 12). Depending on a few factors hindering the later, I will probably choose the latest date possible. As to where I plan to go, I don't know yet, but I'm not ruling out anywhere.

So, when June 13 rolls around, who knows if I'll be spending another year in Senegal, enjoying a job in an enjoyable place, or in my parents' basement (just kidding). I do know that my time here in Senegal is sadly one day closer to the end and when June 13 falls on the calender, I better call home and wish my mom a Happy Birthday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN to that last statement.

Anonymous said...

J - Didn't your folks tell you? They have moved from Houston and the new house (whereever it is) doesn't have a basement.

Skip

Anonymous said...

you can live with us, but you have to share a bed with Oscar (woof!!)