Saturday, January 20, 2007

Another Day...

Friday, January 19, 2007

It is hard to write about something when you, yourself are still trying to figure out what the hell happened…but, as always, I will try. As my time here in Senegal approaches the year mark, the sense of constant surprise, shock, confusion, distrust, etc., has to some extent, warn off. Because of that, it has been more and more difficult to find topics to write about.

Here in Senegal, as a Peace Corps Volunteer, American, and white person, or basically different from the general population, you are much like an attraction at a zoo. Gradually, it gets easier and easier to accept this fact. I don’t notice the “toubab” comments anymore and in the areas where I live, work, and frequent, relationships are created, diminishing the novelty affect.

But, there are always those infrequent events that throw this assimilation process astray…

The past couple of weeks, I have been trying to make it home for lunch each day, especially when it is a day of something I favor, such as Tuesdays (mafe) or Friday (thieb u yapp). Well, I was running a bit late today, so I was in a hurry so I could make it to the bowl.

A third of the way into my car rapide trip home, I noticed a lady sitting 2 people down from me on the bench started saying “bonjourrr, bonjourrrrrrrr, bonjourrrrrrrrr.” It didn’t appear that she was saying this to anyone, but as events unfolded, I suppose she was saying them to me.

A few minutes passed and then as people got off the car, this girl moved. She was around my age and had a few pounds on her. First, she moved to a seat diagnolly in front of me and then squeezed into a spot just beside me. I didn’t find it too unusual because people change seats as more space becomes available.

What I did find unusual was when squeezed in beside me and started rubbing my arm. I mean, I know for a fact that I was the hottest American guy on this trip, but she just wanted to take things a little too quick for my taste. As she was touching my arm, she was asking “What is this? What is this?” In my head, I was asking what the f**k was going on. I was pretty sketched out. This girl was creating a scene and there was definetly an audience.

It was kinda funny at first, but it kept dragging on and on. I kinda wished I asked her how many times she had been dropped on her head as a child, but instead I started wondering if I got on the right bus or not. I told her that I did not want to talk to her and really just wanted to take a nap, but that didn’t work, so her conversation and petting continued.

So she asked if I knew George Bush and I told her he was my dad. She was concerned about my personal information, so she started questioning what I did. She asked if I worked for the FBI and I told her that I did. Then she asked if I worked for the CIA, but due to differences in pronunciation, it took me awhile to figure out what she was trying to say. Throughout the course of this, she still occasionally rubbed my arm. I really had no where to go or put it, so I just had to suffer.

I was pondering jumping out the bus window and ending the pain and suffering right then, but for some reason I didn’t…I should have. She took off her bracelet and tried to put on me. Well, at that point, I kinda had enough. I’m not big in being an ass or creating a scene, but I definitely removed her hands from my vicinity with a sense of aggression. Typically, this would be enough, but she just didn’t get it…I hate having good looks. She kept trying to put her bracelet on my arm and kept asking “what is this?” as she pointed to the hair on my arm. I don’t know if she was curious about the hair on my arm or my tan…both of which are interesting conversation pieces.

Basically, my next 20 minutes in hell drug on, but they finally ended. Everyone on the car at this point was my audience, so, with a smile, I got up and took a bow. I shook the girl’s hand. I did make sure that my back side minimally faced her as left, because I was almost certain that she would try to grab my butt.

That was one of the weirder experiences I have had here and in my life…who was that girl.

1 comment:

JPLand said...

That's not a woman...that's a MAN!!