Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Escapades with my friends...the pickpockets

October 21, 2006

I have been fairly fortunate during my 7 and a half months here in Senegal. I still have my health, which is all I guess you can ask for these days. The potentially negative experiences such as breaking my hand and having my bike stolen have all made this journey interesting, which I really can't complain about.

Last night and again today, I had new set of occurences that some may consider negative. At the time, I did too, but now, it is just another story to tell. So, here I go....

It was around 10 pm on Friday night, and I had just spent a couple hours with some PCVs at the regional house in Libertie Six, about 2 miles from my house. I took a Car Rapide, as I always do, for 75 CFA (15 cents) to Patte D'Oie (my neighborhood). I got out where I typically do to make the 200 to 300 yard walk to my house...not a big deal. As I got out and started walking, something did not seem right. I really had no clue what it was, but I had that feeling.

As I continued to walk, I started to feel as if someone was following me. Thats cool, I am a pretty boring person to watch and follow, but if that wants to be someones Friday night entertainment, than go for it.

With my follower starting to follow to close and me starting to walk faster than normal, I decided to do a few zig zags. I covered up my pockets with my hands. Also, I turned my head back both ways to try and tell the guy I knew he was there. Unfortunatly, he was stupid.

Finally, I had had enough. I turned around, found my messenger bag had one strap undone and pushed the guy away. He looked at me like I was an idiot, but, unfortunatly, he was the idiot. A lady seeing the events unforld told me that I should weave back and fourth. I just noded my head.

The moment I confronted the guy, I was literally fired out. I really wanted to beat the crap out of the guy....so I did. Only kidding, my anger was controlled. Needless to say, it really made me upset. I can't say that has ever happened to me before, and I guess with the first time, you will always remember it...unfortunatly the memory is that of a pickpocket.

The fun does not stop there gang. The next afternoon in the same spot, the same thing happened almost but with another friendly pickpocket...fortunatly this one had a sense of humor. I had just gotten out of the car rapide and was walking towards the Rout de Aeroport and I see the hand of a guy who I am passing pull at one of the loops on my bag. Once again...stupidity here. I guess the senses get strong when you rarely let your guard down.

The moment he went for my bag, i brought it in close to my body as if I were protecting a football going through a gauntlet. I turn back and the guy looks back and smiles and gives me a thumbs up. Needless to say, I did laugh. It is a shame that this is where my humor came from.

As for the reason to the pickpocketing, it is the end of Ramadan and people need money for the festivities of Korite. It is a shame that this sort of thing has to happen, unfortunatly, it is the reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TWICE!